As I typed this, with the intent of not actually posting it until Friday, my good friend Kimberly has been hounding me about sunscreen. Kimberly, I'm telling you, if it was anyone else, I'd be like, "Sorry. You have to wait." But since it's you... :-)
Step 2-After the Shower
Deodorant-
Notice I said "deodorant"...NOT antiperspirant. Now, for some of you this is going to take some getting used to. So, promise me you'll read on with an open mind. When I first switched, it was an adjustment. In fact, after 1 month, I couldn't keep it a secret anymore...it was gnawing at me like I'd had botox or a boob job and no one knew and I just HAD to tell someone. I mentioned to my friend Colleen (who is a very beautiful, thin, trendy, super-put-together mom of 2 girls) that I had been EXPERIMENTING with NOT wearing antiperspirant. It was a huge risk. I mean, she could have said, "Um, yeah...I noticed, I just didn't want to say anything." She could have said, "What? That's weird! You're gonna have sweat stains on all your J Crew t-shirts!" But what she actually said was this: "Oh yeah, I haven't worn antiperspirant for years. Alzheimers runs in my family and I just don't want to expose myself to aluminum because it's a huge risk factor." Huh? You mean I am not the ONLY informed, progressive, anti-toxin-warrior on the planet? Cool!
Here's what you should know before you switch...you are going to sweat. At first it feels weird, because if you use Secret, you do not sweat. Secret (and Mitchum and Speed Stick) prevent your body from eliminating toxins by chemically clogging up your sweat glands so that you have that all-day-dry (itchy, toxin-filled) feeling. You MUST give your body time to adjust. You may even have body odor for 2-4 weeks...it all depends on how much toxicity is built up in your system. Once your body adjusts, you will still sweat a little, although not nearly as much as the first 2 weeks, but you should only have body odor if you don't take a shower or if your pH is off, or if you have an immune or hormone imbalance...more about that later.
I use a mineral salt spray that I get at Sprouts. I buy whatever brand is on sale (Sprouts brand or Crystalux Crystal Deodorant Spray. As long as the ingredients are "mineral salts and water", that's what I use. I add my favorite fragrance, which right now happens to be Aveda Spirit Spray #6 (which is Aveda's signature "Pure-fume" fragrance, made of plant based aromas & essential oils and must be custom-blended in an Aveda store or salon) so that I smell nice. In a pinch, it will even GET RID of unpleasant underarm odor if I spray it on smelly pits. I put about 25-30 spritzes of Spirit Spray into a 4 oz bottle of mineral salt deo. My husband is a deodorant convert as well! He loves Lafes Roll On Deodorant in "Active" scent. The main ingredients in this deo are water and mineral salts as well, so I guess you could say that we both love the mineral salts! I have tried every brand and homemade remedy you can possibly imagine (Tom's of Maine, coconut oil-based homemade, vodka, etc.) and, trust me, mineral salts are the bomb. Be patient and give your body time to adjust and you will be a convert too!
If you are going to be wearing a sheer top or something that you worry about sweat showing in (I only worry in the Summer, when it's 105 degrees outside, in which case, I'm really not wearing much polyester anyway) then pat on some talc-free powder after the deodorant dries. In fact, you can put powder ANYWHERE you want to stay dry. I like a body powder that is cornstarch or zinc oxide based (or both). Monistat used to make an all-purpose fragrance-free zinc oxide powder that I loved, but I can't find it anymore. When I run out, I'll be looking for a new one.
Antioxidant Face Serum-
SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF Gel a very potent, very concentrated blend of antioxidants and exfoliating acids. If you can afford it, I (and my dermatologist) highly recommend it. It has Vitamin C to brighten and even out skin tone ferulic acid to exfoliate and scavenge for those nasty free radicals
I also like:
Winter-Origins Plantscription Anti-Aging Serum...it goes on like a thin lotion and adds a hint of moisture to dry skin.
Summer-Aveda Enbrightenment Brightening Correcting Serum...goes on like a thin serum, so you can still put on moisturizer and sunscreen and not feel goopy.
Apply to clean skin and let soak in. Serums are more effective than lotions. If you're over 30, you should be using one.
Eye Cream-
Morning-Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream...moisturizes, but soaks in COMPLETELY and is not at all greasy...instantly brightens and de-puffs and makes a great foundation for eye shadow.
Evening-something more emollient...there are so many out there. Right now I'm using Origins Plantscriptions Antiaging Eye Cream but if you go to Sprouts, they are a dime a dozen...just ask someone in the cosmetics department.
I'll say it again...if you're over 30, you owe it to yourself to use a good eye cream.
Moisturizer-
Right now I'm liking Shikai Borage Dry Skin Therapy Facial 24 Hour Repair Cream (which now comes in a white pump w/ a blue label...not like the picture in the link...it moisturizes with ZERO irritation (even after a sun burn). If it's too emollient for you, try Aveda Embrightenment Brightening Correcting Lotion...I can't say that I saw a difference in skin tone by using it, but it has a wonderfully light herbal scent and is very lightweight.
And, now, what you've all been waiting for...
Sunscreen-
You should NOT, let me repeat this...SHOULD NOT be using a chemical sunscreen such as octinoxate, octisalate, homosalate, octocrylene, or avobenzone...OK you can use avobenzone in an emergency....like once a year. But seriously, these sunscreens "protect" your skin by chemically altering it! Surgeons find traces of them built up in cancer tissue. You do not want to mess with this stuff, and by all means STOP putting in on your children! You should only be sing zinc oxide & titanium dioxide to shield your skin from the sun. In addition to Devita, I do have a spray bottle of All Terrain KidSport Spray SPF 30. It's a pump, not an aerosol, but it's still an easy way to quickly lube up your kids.
For face...Devita Solar Protective Moisturizer SPF 30. This product is great, but it's changed a few times over the last several years. It goes on great, but take note, it's best used OVER your regular moisturizer.
or
Devita Moisture Tints SPF 15 Multi-Beneficial Beauty Balm ...This is a brand new product that I really really love. It glides on like nothing I've ever tried, and has sunscreen and tint built right in. If you have oily skin, you MAY be able to use this as a stand-alone product. My skin is dry, so I still use moisturizer underneath.
or
SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50 This one is a very thin liquid that glides over the skin and soaks in completely. If you're looking for an all-natural, high SPF liquid for the face...this is it! Use over moisturizer.
For body...Devita Solar Body Moisturizer SPF 30
And, my super-secret, crazy-but-true trick to protecting your skin from sunburn? Fernblock. It's a supplement. Yes, a pill. It's made from a fern that grows in the Southwest United States. Native Americans have been chewing it for years, because it literally prevents sunburn! My friend Kim (not to be confused with Kimberly that I mentioned before) took nothing but Fernblock on a hike to Seven Falls (7 hours total in early June) and did not put any sunblock on her skin. I don't necessarily recommend this, by the way, but wanted to share the story to show you the benefits of the supplement. She wore a tank top and at the end of the hike did not even have a "strap mark" on her shoulder! 2 pills every 2 hours does the trick. I give it to my kids if they are going to a swim party or to the beach. Anytime we go anywhere where we know we're SUPPOSED to re-apply our sunscreen every hour, but know that REALISTICALLY it's not going to happen, we take Fernblock. I like a little tan, so I only take 1 pill every 2 hours.
If you are like me and like to do your homework, please google "Fernblock" or "polypodium leucotomos" (the scientific name of the supplement). Like most natural remedies, the FDA is not a huge fan, however, the studies found online will just say that it does work, but is not a suitable substitute for a topical sunscreen. There are NO adverse side effects and it's safe for children. Do a little research and then try it for yourself!
Stay tuned for my next post...haircare & styling products...
Melanie, Do you purchase the sunscreen online or buy it locally? Love the post - thanks a million!
ReplyDeleteI always buy it at Sprouts when it is on sale. According to another reader, Sprouts is having their 25% off extravaganza sale RIGHT NOW...which means every vitamin, supplement, and cosmetic is 25% off all week. And, if you save your receipt, Sprouts will take ANYTHING back for ANY reason!
DeleteHappy shopping!
After learning a fact or two about anti-perspirants, I prepared myself to making some adjustments. It can be a little awkward at first, but you have to take the risk. It’s better to detoxify yourself naturally than be sorry in the future.
ReplyDeleteLilia @LaFleurDaySpa.com